The New Year always brings with it a bevy of new resolutions: a commitment to get fit, to spend more time with the family, or even, ahem, to blog more often.
Alas, like so many snowflakes, these resolutions tend to melt away when the cold winds of winter give way to the renewing sounds of spring.
If you are a soccer/football player, I’ve found one you can keep up with, and I’m calling it “How to Earn A Caution Without Really Trying”. All you need do is follow these simple steps:
- Have a reputation as a hard-to-manage hothead
- Be on your fourth caution of the season (one away from a one match suspension)
- Commit a foul that, on its’ own merit, might get you booked
- Have a referee, whom knowing that you are on your 4th caution, decides to give you the benefit of the doubt for the late tackle and not caution you
- Finally – and this one’s the cruncher – run your mouth at said referee in the immediate aftermath of said leniency
There you are, one caution, done and dusted. Oh, and don’t forget the bonus one match suspension.
Happy New Year everyone!