- Best Christmas Gifts for Referees (of 4 major sports)
Finding the best gifts for referees can be tough. After all, different leagues have their own requirements, and sports officials have their own unique tastes and needs. Referee Store was founded by referees, so we can help! We’ve organized these gifts by sport for your convenience, but many of our […]
- Grace Under Pressure
Keeping your cool while others lose theirs is one of the keys that separates merely good officials from those at the top of the game.
- New USSF Referee Uniform Details (updated October 2022)
Details on the new USSF Referee shirt, including features, pricing, and implementation timelines.
- Case Study: Composed Player Management
Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg artfully demonstrates the use of verbal and non-verbal communication in effective player management.
- R.I.P. Advice to Referees
U.S. Soccer has taken the decision to discontinue publication of the “Advice to Referees” document.
- Case Study: Form and Fitness
In a FIFA Women’s World Cup Round of 16 match, referee Stephanie Frappart (FRA) demonstrates why fitness and athletic form are of vital importance to referees
- Case Study: Locked and Loaded
A tackle involving Ashley Barnes of Burnely and Namanja Matic of Chelsea is reviewed and analyzed in the context of Law 12.
- Case Study: Raise Your Hand
A clear case of violent conduct by Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke is analyzed for possibilities to avoid similar situations at lower levels of the game.
- Case Study: Keep Your Eyes Off The Ball
FIFA Assistant Referee Peter Kirkup brilliantly illustrates the role AR’s play in watching for nonsense behind the back of the referee.
- The iTOOTR Ref of the Year (more than a little late)
iTOOTR (belatedly) selects a Referee of the Year for 2013/14.
- Case Study: The Coach’s Bill of Rights
A recent on field bust-up between Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and his Chelsea counterpart Jose Mourinho reminds us of the very limited role of team officials within the Laws of the Game.
- Ref Focus: Mike Dean, Man City v Chelsea
All of Mike Dean’s decisions are included in this condensed format video from the 21 Sep 2014 match between Manchester City and Chelsea.
- Ref Focus: Cüneyt Çakır, Brazil v Mexico
Referee Cüneyt Çakır (TUR) is the picture of calm and cool during a fiery encounter between Brazil and Mexico in the group stage of the 2014 World Cup.
- Respect for John Bieniewicz
Memorial tribute to referee John Bieniewicz of Detroit, Michigan, who was killed while refereeing a soccer match
- Case Study: Reckless or Excessive Force?
A late challenge from the France v Nigeria Round of 16 match is analyzed.
- Case Study: Standing Over An Opponent
Howard Webb recognizes the danger of a player standing over an opponent on the ground and deals with it effectively.
- Ref Focus: Mark Geiger, ESP v CHL
USA Referee Mark Geiger’s decisions in the Spain vs Chile match are condensed for easier analysis.
- Case Study: Advantage Leads to World Cup Match Win
Referee Ravshan Irmatov of Uzbekistan relies on his fitness and mental sharpness to allow play to continue, leading to the game’s winning goal.
- Gear Review: Electronic Flags Roundup
We review and compare all three brands of electronic flags from RefsCall, Ervocom, and Touchline
- Case Study: Protecting the Guilty
Martin Atkinson defuses a mass confrontation by inserting himself near the player whose actions ingited the situation